Today, Blizzard released a Developer Update video. Symmetra is no longer going to be a situational pick! Well, hopefully.
All of the changes will be hitting the PTR (Public Test Region) soon according to the video. The primary goal: make her fun and improving the quality of life.
There are 4 MAJOR changes coming to her. Plus, a small change to her weapon’s primary ability.
- Her Ultimate: Originally, a player would build a nest with turrets and place the teleporter within the turret nest. The teleporter wasn’t taken away. Instead, Symmetra now has 2 versions of her ultimate. The teleporter and now a Shield Generator. YES! A Shield Generator! So, no more giving people shields! Anyways, according to the video the Shield Generator does a couple of things. It creates a substantial shield to those with in its large radius, ignoring all line of site. The Shield Generator will result in a a focus from the enemy team to seek and destroy the generator.
- Teleporter now has more health, part of which is just shield. The evil days of your teleporter health decreasing slowly from the attacks is now over. The survivability of the teleporter increases as the shield regenerates between attacks. So, that whole nest thing, its great now.
- That whole giving shields at the beginning of the match chaos is now over! (Praise the lord!) You still have a shield to use, but creativity is encouraged now. The shield’s new name is “Photon Barrier.”This shield is similar to Winston’s kind of. So, Symmetra can now use the shield that moves along a projected track of movement. This enables teams with tanks without shields to have a moving shield to get them past that Bastion or Torbjörn turret in the corner doing lawn mower things to your team.
- The turrets. So, along with the stress originally from putting shields on team and placing 3 of 6 turrets in the minute before the game starts is basically gone. Now, Symmetra will start with 6 instead of 3 turrets. Turrets will also stack up to 6 instead of three. The cooldown in 10 seconds instead of 12. The changes to the turrets will encourage a change towards flexibility in Symmetra play along with the ability to disengage in a team fight to put more turrets up or change the turret placement.
- This is more of the minor change. Her weapon. The primary ability’s distance was increased a bit. She is still considered a short range character.
What does Blizzard want?
Current Symmetra mains to tell them yes, Great! or no, and here’s why? when it gets launched on PTR.
Occasional Symmetra players: Same thing as current mains, but whether or not you think the changes will increase your play time as her.
The WTF is Symmetra players: Try her out on regular game play and then compare it to the PTR, let Blizzard general thoughts!
Good Luck Symmetra players!